To calibrate your Apple Watch, make sure Location services And Motion calibration and distance Your settings are activated. Then, open the Workout app and record various outdoor walks and races.
Go to the main section
How To Calibrate Your Apple Watch
On a clear day, wear your Apple Watch in a flat, pedestrian-friendly outdoor area with reliable GPS reception. If you have an Apple Watch Series 1 or earlier, you’ll need to bring your pair of iPhones for connected GPS.
- On your pair of iPhones, open Settings App, then scroll down and tap Privacy. Tap Location services And check if it is active. If not, tap Toggle.
- On the same screen, scroll down and tap System service. Search Motion calibration and distance And make sure it is active. If not, tap Toggle.
- Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch and start an outdoor walk or outdoor race.
- Start walking or running according to the chosen workout and keep pace for 20 minutes.
- When possible, repeat with the reverse workout.
Your Apple Watch constantly learns the length of your stride at different speeds and constantly calibrates its accelerometer whenever you record walking or running outside.
Why it’s important to calibrate your Apple Watch
If you’re stuck with tracking statistics, you probably want them to be accurate. Calibration can improve the accuracy of your calorie count during a workout, but can also affect the calorie, distance, and moving counts in your daily activities. By helping the device learn your steroid and fitness level, it can keep the data accurate when GPS is limited. In short, it’s easy to learn how to calibrate your Apple Watch with lasting benefits.
How to reset your calibration data on your Apple Watch
If you want to calibrate your device from a clean slate, you can reset your calibration data from your paired iPhone. This will permanently delete your current data and history and result in less accurate measurements until you calibrate again.
- On your pair of iPhones, open The clock App
- Tap My watch Tab, then scroll down and tap Privacy. Tap Reset fitness calibration dataAnd tap again to confirm.
- Follow the steps above for how to calibrate your Apple Watch.
Read more: How does the Apple Watch calculate calorie burn?
Can I reset my Apple Watch calibration data clock?
No. You will need your paired iPhone to reset your calibration data.
Does my Apple Watch calibrate automatically?
As mentioned above, your device will continue to calibrate automatically over time. With that in mind, it’s important to always choose the right workouts and keep personal information such as weight, height, age and gender up to date.
How does my Apple Watch count calories burned?
Your Apple Watch calculates how many calories you burn throughout the day using personal information such as your height, weight, age, sex, heart rate and movement. Read more about this calculation and its accuracy here.
Can fit affect the accuracy of my Apple Watch?
Absolutely. Wearing your Apple Watch too tight or loose can affect the accuracy of your heart rate sensor. Similarly, wearing your Apple Watch too high on your arm or below your wrist will affect accuracy.