Fitbit smartwatch and tracker little powerhouse for those who want to improve their health and fitness level. These devices track a number of activities, from running to swimming and beyond, and provide solid guidance and analysis after a workout. But how do you track exercise and activity on a Fitbit device? We explore the steps below with additional information and tips to help you get the most out of Fitbit’s exercise tracking features.
Open the Exercise app on your Fitbit smartwatch or tracker, find the activity that matches your planned workout, then start the workout on your device.
Go to the main section
How To Start A Workout In Your Fitbit
Your Fitbit Tracker can monitor your workout progress for a variety of activities using its Exercise app. Starting a workout is a bit different from tracker to tracker, but we’ve included instructions for all major devices in the Fitbit lineup below.
See also: The best fitbit smartwatch and tracker
Fitbit Sense and Versa3
- From the Home screen, swipe left until you see Exercise app. Tap to open it.
- Scroll the exercise shortcut and tap one to start it.
- Swipe from the bottom of the screen to access the exercise settings and adjust the exercise goals.
- Tap Play icon To start your workout.
After starting a rehearsal, Versa 3 and Sense featured a Nifty three-second countdown. Additionally, you may see a “Connection” dialog on the screen before starting some workouts. This watch is trying to lock in a GPS signal. No need to wait for devices to connect to GPS, but we recommend that you do so.
Our verdict: Fitbit Sense Review | Fitbit Versa 3 Review
Fitbit Versa 2, Versa, and Versa Lite
- From the Home screen, swipe to the left until you see Exercise app. Tap to open it.
- Scroll the exercise shortcut and tap one to start it. Tap More If your exercise is not listed.
- Tap Target button To set a goal. You can choose the active zone in minutes, distance, time or calories.
- Tap Gear icon At the top right of the screen to adjust more settings including show laps, zone notifications, etc.
- Tap Get started To start the workout.
Significantly, if you own a Fitbit Versa 2, Versa, or Versa Lite, you need to have your phone on hand for some workouts, as these three devices have GPS support attached.
Fitbit Charge 5 and Lux
- Swipe left or right from the home screen until you arrive Exercise app. Swipe to open it and browse the available exercises.
- Tap an exercise to select it.
- You can also swipe up to access additional settings on this screen with GPS and heart rate zone alerts.
- Tap Play icon To start the workout.
See also: Fitbit Charge 5 Review
Fitbit Charge 4
- Swipe left or right from the home screen until you arrive Exercise app. Tap to open it.
- Swipe right to browse the exercise and tap to select one.
- You can also swipe to access additional settings with GPS and heart rate zone alerts.
- Tap Goal setting Adjust or tap your exercise goals (distance, time, calories, zone minutes) Get started To access the start screen of the workout.
- Tap Play button To start the workout.
- Swipe right from the clock until you arrive Exercise app. Tap to open it.
- Swipe right to browse the exercise and tap one to select it.
- Tap Play icon To start an exercise.
Which Exercise Can Track My Fitbit?
Andy Walker / Android Authority
The Fitbit Exercise app tracks over 20 activities. The complete list is as follows:
- Circuit training
- Interval workout
- Outdoor workout
- Stair climber
While Fitbit recommends choosing an activity that is best suited for your planned workout, you can also choose Catch-All. Workout Options for general activities.
See also: The best workout app and exercise app for Android
How to enable automatic exercise tracking
Jimmy Westenberg / Android Authority
We are forgotten animals, so, understandably, sometimes you may forget to activate the exercise of walking or running. However, most Fitbit smartwatches and trackers can automatically track some activity even if you forget to select that practice on your device.
The Fitbit Sense, Versa Series, Charge 5 and Charge 4 Exercise apps will open automatically if they detect ongoing activity.
To adjust which exercises are automatically tracked:
- Open Fitbit app On your phone.
- Scroll down Exercise tileAnd tap it.
- Tap Gear icon At the top right of the display.
- Here you can adjust the auto-recognition settings for each workout. Here, you can also change the amount of time before an exercise is automatically recognized.
Activities automatically tracked by Fitbit devices include:
- Aerobic workout
- Outdoor bikes
How To Customize Your Fitbit Exercise Shortcut
Fitbit trackers can monitor more than 20 exercise activities, but it’s unlikely you’ll have them readily available. That’s why Fitbit allows users to add up to seven exercises to a shortcut list on some devices.
To customize your Fitbit exercise options:
- Open Fitbit app On your phone.
- Tap Today’s tab.
- Tap your Profile pictureThen select your device.
- Tap Exercise shortcuts Options
- Finally, tap + Icon At the top right of the screen to add exercises to your shortcut list. You can also remove the exercises you need by swiping and tapping left on that shortcut. Delete.
Organizing your exercise shortcuts will make it easier and faster to find and get started with your commonly used workouts.
Significantly, Fitbit Sense and Fitbit Versa 3 do not feature this option, as there is no shortcut list for these devices. Older Fitbit Versa models list all the exercises in the exercise app.
See also: The most common Fitbit problems and how to fix them
Q: Can Fitbit track HIIT workouts?
A: Theoretically, yes. Uses Interval workout Options in the Exercise app, users can set up high intensity and rest intervals. To adjust the length of this interval, open the Fitbit app on your phone, tap your Profile picture, And tap on your device. Scroll down Exercise shortcutsThen tap Interval workout. Here, you can set the break for Move And Rest The number of repetitions of the period or that interval. Includes Fitbit Premium, the company’s subscription service, as well as HIIT programs designed for beginners and more serious users.
Q: Does Fitbit have a guided workout?
A: Yes. In the Fitbit app on your phone, tap Discovery tab. Scroll to and tap the Workouts tab Look at all. Scroll down and tap on Free At-Home Workouts Look at all Once again. Significantly, the Fitbit Premium includes several additional workouts, but you’ll need to pay $ 79 per year to access these programs.
Q: Is Fitbit Premium worth it?
A: Fitbit offers premium customers premium workout videos, guided programs, insights into your health, daily preparation scores, and more granular health metrics dashboards. These are great value additions for those looking to improve their fitness, but they are by no means necessary, especially considering the $ 79 annual fee. However, a number of Fitbit devices come with a free trial – Inspire 2 includes year-round access to the premium.
Q: Which is the best fitbit for exercise tracking?
A: Our favorite Fitbit fitness tracker is the Charge 5, with its nice color screen, new sensors and comfortable fit. We believe that the Fitbit Versa 3 is the best Fitbit smartwatch for money, but the Sense is great for those who want more sensors and data.